The May 8th
1941 edition of the Waterbury Record reported that the golf course was purchased from Mr.
and Mrs. Davis, stating that “The course is one of the most picturesque and finely situated of
any in Vermont and it is most gratifying that Waterbury is to be afforded a chance to own this
Prior to this, the course was owned and operated by W.F. Davis and the Waterbury Inn, once
located at the corner of Main Street and Park Row in the Village of Waterbury. Mr. Davis added
both the golf course and a 3000 yard archery course on Blush Hill Road to compliment the
many amenities enjoyed by the guests of the Inn. Archery golf was very rare in the area, and
the Waterbury course was only the second to be built north of Pinehurst, N. C. The June 29,
1930 edition of the Waterbury Record reported that “In it will be hazards, such as trees to shoot
over or through. Instead of holes there are wickets with distances between of from 195 to 425
yards. The game is similar to golf in principal but bows and arrows are used instead of golf stick
and ball.” The archery course was laid out around the golf course but had to be relocated
elsewhere on the property due to the congestion on the course. The article further reported
that the new game was very popular which was “attested by the fact that Mr. Davis instructed
more than 200, who are now enthusiasts.”
Over the years the club has enjoyed a very active membership. In the summer of 1956 local
dentist Robert Kennedy enlisted the help of other club members to build a new club house.
Members worked tirelessly under the supervision of Ernest Metayer, and construction workers
from the interstate helped to finish the new building. The women assisted with the fundraising,
with food and fancy work booths run by Lois Sabin, Becky Warren and Billie Durkee. Robert and
Lorette Kennedy co-chaired the fundraising effort. The Robert F. Kennedy Men’s Member –
Guest tournament is named in his honor for all his hard work and dedication to the club. In the
early years the women hosted bridge parties, and both the men and women have organized
and hosted many golf tournaments throughout the 65 year history of the club. In recent years,
many of these tournaments and club events have benefited local area non-profit organizations.
The Calcutta Fundraiser held in June benefited the Vermont Health and Hospice in
Waterbury. This year the Ladies “Olde Biddie Open” tournament will benefit the Vermont Food
Bank. The Ladies Invitational scheduled for August will benefit Camp Takumta, as it has
for many years. The Annual Fall Classic will be held over the course of three days in September, and the
benefactor of this tournament will be determined very soon. The Men’s and Ladies Member
Member and Member Guest Tournaments are also held annually, as is the Men’s Seniors
Tournament and the Club Championship.
Blush Hill Country Club continues to be a very active and sociable golf club. We are proud of
our long history of great golf and look forward to another 65 enjoyable and successful years.